TeamMinajCanada avatar

Lyric analysis thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

I'm sure we've all already heard one of Nicki's raps that has left us completely dumbfounded. This thread is basically dedicated to 'decoding' those songs.

Post the song and/or lyric that you've been having trouble with and we'll try to figure it out collectively. (Ex: What does "I just be coming off the top, asbestos." mean?)

Once a inquiry has been settled, I'll post the correct lyrics and the accompanying meaning here so we have a quick accessible directory of Nicki's most questionable bars.

:)

Replies to this posting

1. laurenthayer avatar

RE: Lyric analyzation thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM By: laurenthayer

this is along the lines of this topic but I wish she would talk about autobiography. Even though I dont think she ever will.. or at least not for a long long time.

2. IntellectBarbie avatar

Re: Lyric analyzation thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM By: IntellectBarbie

Song: Autobiography

'But I'ma die tryin and when I'm done cryin, grab the iron, and black out like I'm retiring...'

3. laurenthayer avatar

Re: Lyric analyzation thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM By: laurenthayer

IntellectBarbie wrote:

'But I'ma die tryin and when I'm done cryin, grab the iron, and black out like I'm retiring...'

do you think she was talking about self harm? Like burning herself so that she`d black out? Just a thought

4. sofargone avatar

Re: Lyric analysis thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM By: sofargone

IntellectBarbie wrote:

"Black out like I'm retiring" is referencing Jay-Z's Black album (which may have been released around the time he said he was retiring). The iron part I'm not sure about. Could be a gun reference.

5. ItsPnkFridayHoe avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM By: ItsPnkFridayHoe

negritalinda wrote:
    IntellectBarbie wrote:

"Black out like I'm retiring" is referencing Jay-Z's Black album (which may have been released around the time he said he was retiring). The iron part I'm not sure about. Could be a gun reference.

Hmmm

6. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

laurenthayer wrote:
    IntellectBarbie wrote:

do you think she was talking about self harm? Like burning herself so that she`d black out? Just a thought

I'm not sure what the bar means but I know it's not about self-harm.

7. sweetestgirl__ avatar

RE: Lyric analysis thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM By: sweetestgirl__

when i hear sweetest girl . i seriously think nicki is talkin about a boy talkin on her ... she said [ WOULD OF NEVER HAPPEN IF I WOULD OF STAYED IN DOORS ..... THEN AT THE END OF THE VERSE SHES F* ME RAPE ME BLAH BLAH .. BUT YEAH I WISH SHE WOULD EXPLAIN THAT ....
    && HOW IN AUTOBIOGRAPHY SHE SPEAKS ON HER GETTIN AN ABORTION & I WANNA KNO THE B*** THAT TIRED TO STAB HER LOL OK IM DONE

8. sofargone avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM By: sofargone

sweetestgirl__ wrote:
    when i hear sweetest girl . i seriously think nicki is talkin about a boy talkin on her ... she said [ WOULD OF NEVER HAPPEN IF I WOULD OF STAYED IN DOORS ..... THEN AT THE END OF THE VERSE SHES F* ME RAPE ME BLAH BLAH ..

Yeah that part has always bothered me. :(

9. Nadja. avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM By: Nadja.

negritalinda wrote:
    IntellectBarbie wrote:

i think it has a double meaning.

shooting yourself makes you literally blackout, while a "blackout" is also a state of mental impairment. so i think the line just means she wants to forget everything that happened (in the verse with her parents).

and the jay-z reference falls into place.

10. iPotora avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM By: iPotora

Haha. You already know mines. We tried to figure it out together on Twitter, but failed.

Can ANYONE decipher her verse in "Five-O"? Or was she just saying a bunch of nothing?

11. barbie bonnie avatar

RE: Lyric analysis thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM By: barbie bonnie

i really think maybe she might be talkn bout her old self not an abortion
    from not jus a BARBIE

12. KierstinNoelle avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM By: KierstinNoelle

barbie bonnie wrote:
    i really think maybe she might be talkn bout her old self not an abortion
    from not jus a BARBIE

no, i don't think that's it. "please baby forgive me. Mommy was young, mommy was too busy tryna have fun..i hear you in the air, I can hear you saying Mommy don't cry can't you see I'm right here...wish I could touch your little face, or just hold your little hand, but if its part of God's plan maybe we could meet again."
    it sounds like she's talking about a baby.
    11.22.10!

13. laurenthayer avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 6:13 AM By: laurenthayer

so you know in hoodstory the lines "kidnapped my brother at the rucker cuz he used to put it down for me: (phone convo) Oh my god they got/caught brandon.

This confuses me because it sounds like shes referencing a brother named brandon while meanwhile today she only talks about miciaih and julani (butchered the spelling of those names lol

so what happened to brandon? or is he just a figment of the song?

14. iPotora avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 7:38 AM By: iPotora

laurenthayer wrote:
    so you know in hoodstory the lines "kidnapped my brother at the rucker cuz he used to put it down for me: (phone convo) Oh my god they got/caught brandon.

This confuses me because it sounds like shes referencing a brother named brandon while meanwhile today she only talks about miciaih and julani (butchered the spelling of those names lol

I believe she really does have a half-brother named Brandon. He raps, too. I've listened to a couple of his songs on Youtube. He even did a remix for "Bottoms Up".

15. laurenthayer avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM By: laurenthayer

I've seen a guy named Brandon lamar on YouTube saying that he's nickis brother and that he's also signed to ymcmb. But no one from young money or cash money has acknowledged him which makes me think everything he's said is a fabrication

16. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

iPotora wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:

I believe she really does have a half-brother named Brandon. He raps, too. I've listened to a couple of his songs on Youtube. He even did a remix for "Bottoms Up".

Brandon is a fraud. At most, he's Nicki's estranged step-brother. I don't think she was referring to 'him' in hoodstory.

17. laurenthayer avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM By: laurenthayer

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    iPotora wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:

Brandon is a fraud. At most, he's Nicki's estranged step-brother. I don't think she was referring to 'him' in hoodstory.

i`m guessing that hes not even her step brother... I`ve never heard anyone talk about either of her parents re-marrying. Its possible though

18. ?????????? avatar

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM By: ??????????

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:
    IntellectBarbie wrote:

I'm not sure what the bar means but I know it's not about self-harm.

agreed... definitely not about self harm lol!

19. ?????????? avatar

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM By: ??????????

someone's gotta close this, yo.

20. iPotora avatar

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM By: iPotora

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    iPotora wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:

I've been bamboozled!

Newsletter Signup