TeamMinajCanada avatar

Lyric analysis thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

I'm sure we've all already heard one of Nicki's raps that has left us completely dumbfounded. This thread is basically dedicated to 'decoding' those songs.

Post the song and/or lyric that you've been having trouble with and we'll try to figure it out collectively. (Ex: What does "I just be coming off the top, asbestos." mean?)

Once a inquiry has been settled, I'll post the correct lyrics and the accompanying meaning here so we have a quick accessible directory of Nicki's most questionable bars.

:)

Replies to this posting

1. KierstinNoelle avatar

Re: Lyric analysis thread.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM By: KierstinNoelle

barbie bonnie wrote:
    i really think maybe she might be talkn bout her old self not an abortion
    from not jus a BARBIE

no, i don't think that's it. "please baby forgive me. Mommy was young, mommy was too busy tryna have fun..i hear you in the air, I can hear you saying Mommy don't cry can't you see I'm right here...wish I could touch your little face, or just hold your little hand, but if its part of God's plan maybe we could meet again."
    it sounds like she's talking about a baby.
    11.22.10!

2. laurenthayer avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 6:13 AM By: laurenthayer

so you know in hoodstory the lines "kidnapped my brother at the rucker cuz he used to put it down for me: (phone convo) Oh my god they got/caught brandon.

This confuses me because it sounds like shes referencing a brother named brandon while meanwhile today she only talks about miciaih and julani (butchered the spelling of those names lol

so what happened to brandon? or is he just a figment of the song?

3. iPotora avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 7:38 AM By: iPotora

laurenthayer wrote:
    so you know in hoodstory the lines "kidnapped my brother at the rucker cuz he used to put it down for me: (phone convo) Oh my god they got/caught brandon.

This confuses me because it sounds like shes referencing a brother named brandon while meanwhile today she only talks about miciaih and julani (butchered the spelling of those names lol

I believe she really does have a half-brother named Brandon. He raps, too. I've listened to a couple of his songs on Youtube. He even did a remix for "Bottoms Up".

4. laurenthayer avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM By: laurenthayer

I've seen a guy named Brandon lamar on YouTube saying that he's nickis brother and that he's also signed to ymcmb. But no one from young money or cash money has acknowledged him which makes me think everything he's said is a fabrication

5. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

iPotora wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:

I believe she really does have a half-brother named Brandon. He raps, too. I've listened to a couple of his songs on Youtube. He even did a remix for "Bottoms Up".

Brandon is a fraud. At most, he's Nicki's estranged step-brother. I don't think she was referring to 'him' in hoodstory.

6. laurenthayer avatar

Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM By: laurenthayer

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    iPotora wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:

Brandon is a fraud. At most, he's Nicki's estranged step-brother. I don't think she was referring to 'him' in hoodstory.

i`m guessing that hes not even her step brother... I`ve never heard anyone talk about either of her parents re-marrying. Its possible though

7. ?????????? avatar

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM By: ??????????

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:
    IntellectBarbie wrote:
    Song: Autobiography

'But I'ma die tryin and when I'm done cryin, grab the iron, and black out like I'm retiring...'

do you think she was talking about self harm? Like burning herself so that she`d black out? Just a thought

I'm not sure what the bar means but I know it's not about self-harm.

agreed... definitely not about self harm lol!

8. ?????????? avatar

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM By: ??????????

someone's gotta close this, yo.

9. iPotora avatar

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM By: iPotora

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    iPotora wrote:
    laurenthayer wrote:

I've been bamboozled!

10. PandaGazzum avatar

RE: Lyric analysis thread.

Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM By: PandaGazzum

I'm confused almost on the whole 'catch me' song...I think she's rappin' about a guy cheating on her with someone but idk.... I really.... don't know.... so ummm.... any help.... and that end line in 'I ain't Thru' with Keyshia Cole...." and my wrist froze, stage fright " she's going hard n' than she throws that line n' I'm confused again.... okee I think that's it thnx if you guys know any help appreciated :)

11. ItsBarbieBiiittch avatar

Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM By: ItsBarbieBiiittch

"fish scale, so he think i work a sea world"

i dont get that one.

12. iPotora avatar

Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM By: iPotora

PandaGazzum wrote:
    I'm confused almost on the whole 'catch me' song...I think she's rappin' about a guy cheating on her with someone but idk.... I really.... don't know.... so ummm.... any help.... and that end line in 'I ain't Thru' with Keyshia Cole...." and my wrist froze, stage fright " she's going hard n' than she throws that line n' I'm confused again.... okee I think that's it thnx if you guys know any help appreciated :)

When someone has stage fright they're usually on stage in front of a crowd. And very nervous. So nervous they freeze up and forget their lines. She's referring to her wrist being frozen in that way. Also frozen as in "Iced out". A lot of jewelry on it.

13. sofargone avatar

Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM By: sofargone

PandaGazzum wrote:
    I'm confused almost on the whole 'catch me' song...I think she's rappin' about a guy cheating on her with someone but idk.... I really.... don't know.... so ummm.... any help....

Hmmm I never thought about this before, but "Save Me" and "Catch Me" seem to be variations of the same song. Both seem to be about co-dependence. SM is more "damsel in distress" while CM is more...hmmm...holding onto something that isn't there anymore. I think both songs are obscure enough for multiple interpretations.

14. PandaGazzum avatar

Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM By: PandaGazzum

sweeeeeeet thnx I get it now.... I knew about the stage fright aspect but not the jewelery... so grazi... and thnx for clearing up the catch me :)

as far as the fish scale verse she can be giving ups to ghostface killa or the drug... and just referencing sea world because fish are at sea world? idk ahaha

but yeah thnx again :)

15. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

ItsBarbieBiiittch wrote:
    "fish scale, so he think i work a sea world"

i dont get that one.

That quote is from Automatic by Teairra Mari. It's a double entendre. The song itself is about drugs. 'Fishscale' is a name given to very pure cocaine. Sea World is a marine mammal park (obviously, lots of fish). Get it?

16. ClassyP!nkBarb avatar

Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM By: ClassyP!nkBarb

In "Mind on my money" I never understood this one word or knew what it referred to.

Hit me my limousine
    All in ya magazine
    And when I come they betta lean like .....?

Does anyone know?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "Can't let the devil in, I'm a comic book heroin!"

Follow me on Twitter @ClassyBarbsWW

ClassyBarbsWorldWide - Let's help Nicki take over the world!!

17. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:59 AM By: TeamMinajCanada

ClassyP!nkBarb wrote:
    In "Mind on my money" I never understood this one word or knew what it referred to.

Hit me my limousine
    All in ya magazine
    And when I come they betta lean like .....?

Does anyone know?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "Can't let the devil in, I'm a comic book heroin!"

Follow me on Twitter @ClassyBarbsWW

ClassyBarbsWorldWide - Let's help Nicki take over the world!!

She says 'And when they come they better lean like promethazine'.

'Lean' is another word for Purple Drank which is a drug mainly containing cough syrup (codeine & promethazine).

lean the drug/lean the action.

18. sugarcoatedcandy avatar

Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM By: sugarcoatedcandy

hey now in her song hood story what does she mean when she say " you drape me but you go along and rape me" i guess thats how it goes ?

Newsletter Signup